Friday, June 10, 2005

Fake bag shopping in Canal Street, Chinatown

Thursday 10 June 2005

Ok. So obviously the bags themselves are real. I'm not spending my hard-earned dosh on imaginary bags here folks, the fake-ed-ness comes in that they are rip-offs of designer styles. It was quite an experience actually, and one of the few here that I won't be rushing to do again in a hurry. The weather's really warmed up, and the humidity has taken me by surprise. I'm glad I won't be in NY in the middle of summer. What makes it worse, compared to the higher, but drier and more intense heat of SA is the congestion of people and also the garbage that they make. Everything is sticky and sweaty and smelly and, especially in Chinatown yesterday, there are just piles of garbage on the sidewalk awaiting collection. I mentioned that the day before at the Museum was mentally intense, well our shopping day was physically, mentally and emotionally taxing! There are hundreds of stalls of bags, shoes, jewellery, souveniers etc etc etc lining Canal Street and thousands of people looking for a bargain. The idea is not to pay the asking price, so there's lots of pushing and shoving and haggling and people yelling at you: "You like? I give to you for 15? Wholesale price?" or "2 for 30, I give you 2 for 30". Zandra and I managed to get a few bargains, and I made a couple (ok, one) good deal. It was exhausting tho, and I found myself thinking fondly of home and how you can go out on somedays and not really see anyone! Bonnydoon is sounding pretty good right now Vanessa! Book me in for as soon as I get back!
After 4 hours of walking and bargaining in the heat and humidity, we met some of Zandra's friends for a huge meal in a restaurant in Chinatown, but the relief was brief. As soon as we had finished we were being yelled at to leave as people were waiting for a table.
Then headed into Little Italy, which is really just one longish street filled with yet more souveniers and lots of cafes and restaurants and some clothing and gift stores. I found it amusing that nearly all of the cafes and restaurants had signs out front proclaiming: "voted one of the best restaurants on Mulberry Street in the 2005 guide ..." Everything is painted in red, white and green, from fire hydrants to street signs, poles and fences. It made me excited for the upcoming leg of my trip tho! Had some gelati to try and cool down then made our way slowly home on the subway and train; still happy with our day and purchases.
Love to you all! Sorry I haven't been able to write back to everyone, but thanx for your news. I do love to hear it, even tho I can't keep up with getting back to you. Take care, luv Erica xo

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ey there... finally some similarity in our travels. Now we can swap garbage and bargaining stories when we meet back in Oz. I saw the first garbage bin ive seen in over two months this week and it was a pleasure to use it. As for the bargaining, the best ive achieved is talking someone down 500%. Even then i didnt buy it, i was just being a prick! Amazing how much they hike the prices for foreigners.
Look forward to seeing you back in Oz. Have fun.
From: Anonymous indian pilgrim

11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home