Wednesday, June 29, 2005

London's calling ...

I arrived in London Saturday morning after two short flights from Rome. Now feeling like a seasoned traveller (it'll be 8 flights in 6 weeks all up) I don't even listen to the safety thingo, just check for my exits.
On the Rome-Frankfurt flight, I had my first proper single-serve-friend, 'Fight Club' style. (for those who don't know, 'Fight Club' is a v v good movie with Brad Pitt and Edward Norton. Ed's character describes the people you sit next to on short flights as 'singe-serving-friends' as everything you get on the aeroplane is single-served). I don't even know what this guy's name was, but he and his wife were travelling home on separate flights from a week's work/holiday in Rome. He'ld travelled a lot and although American, actually knew of areas of our great continent apart from Melbourne and Sydney. He was also aware that Australia is made up of states, that we do not ride kangaroos, and that it is not usually necessary to collect water in tarps during the night as we have running water now (sorry, long story based on strange conversations with two Americans in Sorrento. If Bill O'Reilly and George W Bush are still reading, I'll sorry guys, but I just seem to be meeting mainly 'those kinds' of Americans, and I feel like I'm teaching 'Australia 1.01' every time ... I do realise you are not all like that and that America has done some good stuff ...)
My newfound complacency in flying was tested tho as I managed to get myself lost, not once, but twice folks! in Frankfurt airport, and got to do the whole running madly with my hand luggage to my boarding gate, only to be kept waiting for 20 minutes longer on the plane while they waited for someone even later than myself.
Kathy met me at Heathrow and got me quickly adjusted to the London lifestyle and Underground etc. I've spent the last 4 or 5 days with her and her brother Robert at their flat in St John's Wood, just around the corner from Abbey Road. They've been doing a great job of showing me London, and especially the damn good food, restaurants, bars, cafes etc.
As they both work during the week, I've been spending the daytimes doing the tourist thing. I finally gave in and did one of those bus tours, but being in London, the red double decker open top bus doesn't stand out so much. It was also a great way to see a lot in a day (there is so much stuff!) and learn a few interesting facts. I know kinda know where everything is ...
Today I wandered thru the National Gallery, part of which was closed as the Queen was there having a look! She's lent a number of her paintings for a current equine-themed exhibition.
Today is Kathy's birthday (Happy 23rd Kathy!) and we're off the the theatre! It'll be my first West End show (and only for a while ...) its a Ratpack themed one and should be great.
Tomorrow night I finally get to catch up with Nikki! Yay! Love to all, sorry about morning-talk style of entries, but have fallen behind and need to catch up. Will try again to log onto email ... take care of yourselves, and each other ... E x

3 Comments:

Blogger Nigel & Kellianne Wapper said...

Hey E

Hope you are enjoying London, we certainly did but it was expensive. Sounds like you are enjoying travelling. Are you already planning the next trip??
Blog on!!!!
Nige and Kel

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Those kind of Americans" I know those kinds... the kinds who can get nothing right aside from regular coffee.

If I were you, I would stop being so Aussiecentric, and treat the people and country who welcomed you a little bit better. We all know Australia is the best place on the planet, but maybe for a second you could stop to think that maybe not everyone in the world thinks that, and some people like the country that they live in as much as you like Australia.

In Manhattan exorbinant rents are paid for small apartments that do not have a view of Ayers Rock, but pretty much in all the world it is "the place to be" so if it costs more a month that some Australian's rent for the year, so be it.

As for your Australia 101 courses that you have to continually teach us stupid Americans, we thank you for taking the time out to enlighten us of the wonderous land down under...

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You visited Dachau? What a place to see, huh? Here is an America 101 lesson. On April 29th, 1945 the United States 7th Army liberated the camp.

Still feel like regular coffee is the only thing that American's have gotten right?

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home