Monday, June 06, 2005

Christina Aguilera cake-shopping in the West Village

Ok, I'll get to explaining the subject heading soon enough. There is so much that has been happening, but after spending ages uploading those photos (so you'ld better appreciate them!) I'll have to keep the last few days of my adventures brief.
Overall it has been wonderful. I now realise exactly how long overdue it has been for me taking a break and a holiday. If I ever let it go this long again (3.5 years, I think!) I give you all permission to hit me on the head with a shovel Drop Dead Fred style! My sleeping finally seems to be getting under control too, with 9 hours last night!
Anyway, Zandra has been great (so have Aunty Elysse and Uncle Michael, but Zandra puts up with me more!) Its amazing having someone who I've only really met a handful of times and who lives on the otherside of the world, but understands me and we both get along so well. Also, it turns out she's been discovering much of New York along with me!
Our first day in the City began at Grand Central Terminal (HUGE HUGE HUGE!) after getting off the train and making our way, slowly, to the Pier to catch the ferry. There was so much to see along the way! Including my first police car chase, which confused me at first, as the police sirens sound like toy cars! How can any criminal take that seriously?
The ferry tour was great, I've said a bit about in on the photos, so won't bore you too much. We then, slowly, made our way back to Grand Central, exploring Midtown along the way. We saw Brownstones and fire escapes (Zandra thinks I'm crazy, but I love fire escapes) little shops, bars and galleries thru the Hell's Kitchen area. Then Broadway, Rockefeller Centre, lots of public art etc etc etc
(That was Thursday) Friday I had my appointment with graphic designer Paul Sahre in the Chelsea area. For those who don't know, I contacted him a few weeks ago after seeing him give a lecture in Adelaide a couple of years ago. He spent about 1.5 hours with me, just talking about New York, Australia, Berocca (apparently they don't have it in the US), life, design, work etc. It was great. And very inspiring. He was so down to earth too! Considering some of the work he's done and the stage he's at, he could be allowed to have so much attitude, but he treated me like a peer. I guess its the difference about living in such a large city where you really a a teeny tiny drop in a bucket.
After that (and me on a design-inspired high!) we explored Chelsea, some galleries and shops. Met a few characters, very interesting to people watch etc.
The city is very dog-friendly. Many stores allow people to bring their dogs in. The funny thing is tho, that the dogs are either very big, or very small. No in between. They also seem to serve as a way of making people friendlier to each other, as people will stop to talk to and ask questions (about the dog usually) of the person it belongs too.
On Saturday (the first really sunny day) we met some of Zandra's friends for a picnic in Central Park and to see the Killers perform a concert ('somebody told me, that you had a boyfriend, who looked like ...') Very good nice relaxing night. We then stayed over her friends apartment (teeny tiny like some of the dogs!) that the two girls pay $1050 EACH a month to rent! My bedroom window looked onto a brick wall, not quite like my 'Wisteria Lane' view in Rye. It was quite an experience. The kitchen is the size of a pantry, which obviously encourages people to eat out more. So Sunday was a very 'New York' day, with brunch around the corner from Dena's apartment, some window-shopping, before catching two subways to the West Village, with more wandering, window-shopping and gallery-looking as we made our way to Zandra's other friend Anna's apartment. This apartment, while only a one-bedroom, seemed larger and brighter (and she pays $1700 a month). Its just around the corner from Bleecker Street, which is kind of like Rundle Street I suppose. Lots of gourmet shops, cafes, gift stores etc. As it was Sunday there were a few street stalls set up that we perused before going inside (alfresco dining is a novelty) for coffee and gelati in a beautiful pasticceria. This is where we were when Christina Aguilera entered (trying to look discreet with HUGE sunglasses, all designer-grungey clothing, blonde-blonde-BLONDE hair and a 3 person entourage including her husband. I will admit it was kinda cool. While she was selecting her cakes, everyone in the place (which wasn't many really) soon realised who she was. She left with her bodyguard when her limo arrived outside, and left her husband to collect her order.
Dinner was at John's Pizza which is also very well known (and I can understand why, the 'pie' was amazing!) and has been frequented by my hero Al Pacino! We then moved onto Magnolia Bakery (famous in Sex and the City) for a Red Velvet cupcake. There was a huge line of people (Seinfeld soup nazi style) filing in and out of the shop. But well worth it. As you can see, I'm eating my way thru New York! I won't have to worry about my bag being overweight, it'll be me!
I know this is all very factual, and then we did this, and then we did this. But there's just so much to see and do. I'm having such a great time. Zandra's friends have all been so nice and we have perfected the right balance of sight-seeing and just wandering, eating, exploring and enjoying ourselves. Its just what I needed and a great holiday.
Hope you're all well. I'll try to write a few shorter but more frequent entries soon. Thanx for all the emails and messages, I do miss you all, but am really enjoying myself too. Take care, luv Erica. x

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!

Good to hear you are having such a ball! Of course I knew you would be OK and all those fears were unfounded... touch wood!

Sorry I didn't make it to your drinks or speak to you before you departed!

Michael finished off the Herald with not too many changes... you have probably been worried sick about it...

Keep having fun!

Mark

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey chook, glad to hear your having fun... sirens, hotdogs, coffee and donuts i'd say you'll be after my job when you get back! Take care
:o)
Em

11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!

Glad your having so much fun. We miss you and its just not the same going out for coffee at Michels.

Make sure you have some Krispy Kremes and Star Bucks coffee for me. I recommend the Apple and Cinnamon donuts. Kimberley will be jealous.

Enjoy yourself!
Alice

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home